The Hill Brush Company was established by Fred and Bill Coward in 1922, after some earlier experiments with brush making by Bill. The business began in a very small building, which has now been demolished, near to the centre of Mere, in Wiltshire, England. It quickly grew, and in 1927 moved to Lordsmead Mill, a disused silk mill, where the waterwheel provided power for the drills that bored holes in the brush stocks. The brushes were all handmade at this time. The factory moved to its present 10 acres (4 hectares) site in Woodlands Road, on the southern side of Mere in 1935/36.
Automatic brush making machines were first introduced in the 1930s, and since then the most up-to-date machinery has been installed. The company's machines are now computer controlled and there is a policy of continually updating its machinery. In recent years very sophisticated production equipment has been installed to manufacture various types of brushes that were not previously made. The company now produces over three million brushes annually and owns over 200 injections moulds. These moulds are for producing other cleaning related products such as squeegees, shovels, buckets, lobby pans, signs, scoops, scrapers, paddles and many more items.